We all used to think that washing our faces with face wash and water was enough to thoroughly clean our skin before going to bed and calling it a night. When double cleansing emerged, our bedtime rituals underwent a radical change. After a long day at work, it turns out that using soap and water (and face wipes) alone won’t get rid of all the dirt and filth on our faces (and extended happy hour).
What Does Double-Cleaning mean?
Double cleansing involves washing your face twice: Cleanse your face twice: once with an oil-based cleanser and once with a water-based one. Even after washing your face, stubborn impurities like pore-clogging and acne-causing dirt can remain on your skin. In double cleansing, your first cleanser breaks down any makeup, removes dirt and excess oils from the day, and cleans your skin. Your second cleanser should address your particular skin type or concern and have ingredients to hydrate, smooth, exfoliate, and treat acne. If you follow both steps, it will ensure that any treatment or moisturizing is not in vain.
The importance of double cleaning according to your skin type
Even while double cleansing requires two steps and a few extra minutes in your routine, it’s not a one-size-fits-all skin care strategy. The appropriate double-cleansing combo is essential for ensuring you get the most out of your regimen, considering the skin types and your particular skin concerns.
Additionally, you can prevent over-washing and over-drying your skin by using the best double-cleansing products according to your skin type. When we over-strip our natural oils, our bodies may react by creating additional oil, which can cause breakouts and irritation.
To avoid disrupting the normal balance of oils and bacteria on your skin, dermatologists advise double cleansing at night when you have dirt and makeup to take off.
Tips for Double-Cleaning
Irrespective of your skin type, the fundamental procedures for double-cleansing are the same:
- Apply cleansing balm or oil on dry skin.
- Massage the first cleanser into your skin, breaking down makeup, sebum, and sunscreen residue.
- Put some water on your face.
- Using your fingertips, a soft cloth, or a cleansing tool, apply your second cleanser and gently massage it into your skin.
- After washing your face, pat your face dry.
Cleansing For Combination Skin, Oily Skin, Dry Skin, and sensitive skin
Double cleansing is an intriguing technique for thoroughly washing your skin and removing all makeup and impurities. However, simply being aware of double cleansing is insufficient. The cleansers you select entirely depend on the type of skin you have. So scroll to learn which cleanser is best for your skin before choosing it!
- Oily skin: Use gentle cleansers that control oil production if you have an oily skin type. For the best results with double cleansing, consider looking for ingredients like aloe vera and vitamin C.
- Dry Skin: Those with dry skin should choose a product that is soothing and non-irritating. Look for ingredients that will help you manage damaged skin and dullness so that your skin glows, such as cocoa, berry, vitamin E, and vitamin B5.
- Combination skin: If you have combination skin, search for cleansers that won’t make your skin feel dry while preventing oiliness. Thus, it is preferable to select an oil-based cleanser. You can seek revitalizing and moisturizing ingredients such as rosehip oil and vitamin A.
- Sensitive and acne-prone skin: When you have sensitive skin, you understand how crucial it is to maintain an easy-to-follow skincare routine. Double cleansing could initially seem unproductive and would increase the likelihood of irritation. But as proper cleansing is essential for maintaining healthy skin, people with sensitive skin should use a light cleansing oil when taking off their makeup. Use anti-inflammatory and antioxidant ingredients like vitamin E, aloe, and green tea to prevent breakouts and soothe irritation.
Benefits of Double Cleansing
People are unaware of the many advantages of double cleansing! In addition, to perfectly clean your skin, double cleansing has a tonne of wonderful skincare benefits that will enhance the efficacy of your skincare products.
- Removes makeup effectively: The majority of makeup residues are not eliminated by simply cleansing your face. When removing makeup, double cleaning ensures that even the most difficult-to-remove items—like a liquid lipstick, foundation, and mascara—come off completely.
- Eliminate Extra Oil Build-up: Excess oil attracts dirt, which frequently leads to breakouts. By double cleansing, you can ensure that your skin’s sebum production is balanced and eliminate any potential pore-clogging pollutants.
- Enhances the effectiveness of other skincare products: Your skin can absorb other skincare products far more efficiently when it is clear of pollutants, makeup, and sunscreen residue. By removing that layer, they can penetrate your skin deeper and faster when you double cleanse.
- Cleanses Without Stripping natural oils: Deep cleaning the skin frequently dries it out since it removes its natural oils. You may properly cleanse and feed your skin simultaneously by double cleansing.